It was a beautiful last day of summer! We went to the Annual Inter-tribal PowWow at Fort Omaha. It's something we've wanted to do since we moved here. The Fort is now a Community College Campus, but all the old buildings remain - it's a pretty neat place. From what I can gather, 4 tribes were represented and there were many different "bands" (for lack of a better term) that played the drums, sang, etc.... It was really cool. The first picture is of girls around Livie's age. They all looked so cute in their bright colored tribal "costumes." (if any real Native Americans read this, forgive me for my political incorrectness!)

I call this guy, "Pow Wow meets Orange County Chopper." Technically I should have asked permission to take his photo, but I didn't want him to beat up Chris.

Here he is again, I guess I kinda got obsessed with this guy....he was pretty ripped!

Below is a picture of our favorite "costume" - it was stunning. They said every one of them is handmade and they use real eagle feathers. They kept reminding guests to NOT touch the feathers.

The kids enjoyed checking out the tipis. The timing of this event is perfect because Liv is studying Native Americans in her 4th grade Social Studies class. She is working on a project of making a model of tipi that is due next week and got some great ideas from attending the pow wow.

They had many "Round Dances" where all the tribes participated, as well as guests. The kids and I went around a few times...it was actually kind of fun. Chris stayed back and took some BAD pictures. You can sort of see Tony and I on the left, he's the one in the lime green shirt and Gopher hat.

They had craft booths set up, so the kids came home with pretty cool flutes. A little girl snagged the hot pink one before Liv could get her hands on it....she had to settle for peach and yellow. :(

As we were leaving the Fort, I spied this beautiful old Italianate style
(I knew that BEFORE reading the sign, by the way) house - it just didn't fit with the other architecture. We doubled back to take a look and see what it was.

The plaque held a very interesting story so I thought I'd include it for Brian, our history buff. You never know what little surprises you'll find around every corner!

HAPPY FALL!!!
6 comments:
What an interesting day! The "costumes" are gorgeous (so was that guy) and I was glad to see some participation (boo, Chris) in the Round Dance. Love the Italianate house (don't you love the windows?) and reading the plaque...look how far we have come in only 127 years...from reviewing the troops (on horseback) to this modern day pow wow. Thanks for sharing!! P.S. Livie your ears look good and Tony...where did you get that shirt??? Love, Gramma Sally
Thanks for the plaque shot, i appreciate it. looks like fun and educational. your kids are going to be very well rounded, kudos!
is tipi the official way of spelling teepee? cool.
hi five tony and livie.
-uncle brian
Maybe Chris should get himself a leather vest and some feathers?? Looks like a great day! What a nice family you make.
Auntie Ernie
Oh I thought that was Chris since Jo was taking pictures of his butt. Gross. (sorry Chris)
It looks like another fun day in Omaha. Maybe next time you come to Elk River we can set aside a day and Tony and Livie can teach me everything they know because I'm quite certain they're already smarter than I am, ok? thanks.
See you soon.
-Unlce Jeff
jeff, you're setting yourself up to get blasted on these postings. boom!
Hey..T-bone...I bet that shirt glows in the dark...sounds like a fun day...we will have to plan one like that when we come your way...hopefully soon...xxooo G ma N
Post a Comment