Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Day and Beyond.....

THURSDAY: After a late night in Hibbing, the adults were once again up before the kids...what's the deal? I keep waiting for the year that they are up at the crack of 5:00. Papa Jocko loves that!
Tony shows off his arm full of stocking loot! Think he likes dinosaurs????

Christmas morning Celia made sure to check that Santa had really been there...I think she understood Santa was coming, but maybe expected to SEE him? She seemed a little freaked out at the thought that he came and went while she was asleep.

Nelson's stocking was full of new toys too. This is the ONLY time of year he gets a fleece toy...

...because he immediately "kills" it. No matter, Tony saw an opportunity to use all the stuffing as "snow" for his new Forest Retreat set from Santa!

Santa brought Celia the Monkey Stroller she's always wanted. Here the Chemical Engineer and Marketing V.P. struggle to put it together. Next year maybe Santa will assemble her gifts ahead of time! :)

Alas, while they both claimed the instructions were "inferior" (aren't they always?), the stroller was finally ready for CC. Here she pushes around her very own Nelson look-a-like from the Maras family.

CC takes a break with Gramma from all the activity. Dontcha love the flamingo slippers? I found those for her at the Denver Zoo.

Most years we all go together on "big" gifts for my mom and dad. This year Papa Jocko received a new golf bag to replace his faded red (i.e. pink) one. The boys at the Ridge won't make fun of him now!
We were all a bit nervous to give Gramma Sally new pans....but it seems she's coveted a set of All Clad for some time now. Happy Cooking!

I love the above and below pictures of my kids "patiently" waiting their turn. We go one at a time at our house and it takes awhile. They've really grown up and were very patient this year.

This was the first year Liv didn't really get any "toys." Always a hard transition...however, she did get a SWEET stereo system for her room. Here we go!

The best way to take a picture of CC is when she isn't looking. She was having a very intense "phone" conversation with someone while playing her cool new guitar.

When you are a girl and turn 2, it's time for Gramma Sally to make you a dolly. This year Celia received one that looks just like her!!!! I can't wait to find out what she names her.

Baby Cal fell asleep watching us open our presents. We wish the Thompson's could have joined us, but it was such a treat that they could at least watch the madness from afar! Again, such a thoughtful gift Brian and Amanda....but we missed you!

FRIDAY: We decided to hit the outdoors for a new adventure....downhill skiing!!! Chris and I used to ski quite a bit in our "younger" days. Moving to Texas kinda put a damper on that hobby. Here we are all eager and excited to give it a whirl. We drove up to Giant's Ridge near Biwabik and invited Auntie Jojo along for the day. I was worried I would forget how to ski...but it's kinda like riding a bike. I am proud to say I am the ONLY one who didn't fall!!!

The temperature was relatively warm, but it was a dark and misty morning. We got their quite early to beat the crowds. Much easier to teach the kids to ski without a million people around.

The "magic carpet" ride to the top was a perfect start for them. As you can see they bit it right away! Shortly after, we took their poles away and that made things much easier for them both.

We took turns going up on the big runs. That's Jojo off to the right with her hood up. It was a beautiful view from the top. All those years we lived up there we never appreciated this beauty.

After a little while Tony got comfortable and did a great job on the two bunny hills. He didn't fall much, but doesn't have enough control yet for the bigger runs. Maybe next year. He didn't complain though. He had fun alternating between the magic carpet and j-bar all by himself.

Livie was a ROCK STAR and conquered her fear of heights by riding the chair lift MANY times to ski the bigger runs with Daddy, Jojo and I. By the end of the day she wasn't falling at all. We are very proud of both the kids for how great they did. Not a complaint out of either of them and they were skiing right until the time we left at 4:00! I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive about going. I'm glad Chris talked me into it and I'm so glad Joanna spent the day with us. What great memories we made!

We usually get Gramma a new puzzle for her birthday each year. Tony, Chris and Gramma are the puzzle masters. Poor Gramma....she approaches puzzles methodically from the outside in. Tony approaches them creatively and jumps from spot to spot. Chris is usually just in her way.

She sucked it up and still let them help.

Ta-da! I'm certain that we were hardly out of Mt. Iron when she took it apart and started over by herself! :)
Friday night after skiing , the kids said goodbye to the Skubics and went to Hibbing with Jojo to spend the night.
SATURDAY: We headed over to Hibbing for one last visit, then the Maras and Thompson clan met at Valentini's in Chisholm for dinner together. Jojo took the kids sliding on Saturday and they enjoyed their special time with her. I need to get some pictures she took...
SUNDAY: We drove home early that morning without incident. The roads were clear and we made it home in 9 1/2 hours this time. We still have all this week to re-group before the kids and I head back to work and school on the 5th.
We all agreed that this was one of our BEST Christmas visits EVER!!!!! Happy New Year!

7 comments:

Sally T said...

Great pictures, especially the skiing ones! But no mention of the 13 hour drive through a MN snowstorm and the -21 degrees on your van temp display! And, for the record, dad put the puzzle away and there it remains...in the box....until spring! Thanks for making the trip, it was a great Christmas...miss you guys!!!

bat act said...

wooooooowwwww. very good posting. what a fun trip home. glad we could spend the day with you guy on sunday. happy new year!!

brian

eskubic said...

We had the best Christmas ever...I'm so glad we got to spend a WHOLE week together. Celia isn't as spunky this week, I think she misses everyone. I mostly miss Tony's GIANT laugh and Liv's quirky, witty one liners. Can't wait until our next sleepover. Can you come next weekend?
Love, Ernie

Anonymous said...

I agree... best Christmas ever! My favorite part was skiing! I also had a great time taking Tony and Livie sledding. I will have to get the pictures in the mail ASAP!

Miss you guys TONS!

Happy New Year!

Love,

Jojo

Vertin-Franklin Family said...

How nice you all got to celebrate together. You all looed like you had such a great time.
It made me as exhausted as I was reading your Christmas card! You guys do such fun things!

Happy New Year!

Jessie said...

so glad that you all had such a great christmas! the adventure makes a great story-and memories to last a lifetime. wonderful pictures, by the way. happy new year to you all! jessie

Anonymous said...

Another good post Jo. We had a great time up north with and can't wait for the next time we're all together.

-Jeff