Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Days are Dwindling!

My three "Frog Rescue Heroes!" The other day as I was putting away the Slip n Slide something caught my eye in our window well...I enlisted Tony, Livie and their friend Maggie to help save the day.
Six toads later they were quite satisfied with their efforts! There were 3 in our window and the kids bravely crawled down into our neighbors window wells and came up with three more. They were ready to save the entire cul-de-sac but I convinced them that maybe the other neighbors wouldn't want them crawling around by their basement windows. What fun!

This year Tony convinced Chris to plant a few rows of corn in our garden. We were the only plot of corn amidst the manicured lawns of our neighborhood...kinda funny, since we are surrounded by fields and fields of it! On a side note: when Liv had her party in June the mom of one of her friends laughed when she saw it, as they are corn farmers. Pretty funny to see us growing it in our backyard!

Anyways, we had a couple of bad wind storms and the corn really took a beating this summer. However, this week we enjoyed the fruits of our labor as you can see by the corn-lover above. We grew enough for 4 meals and it was quite delicious! We have a bumper crop of cantaloupe that are almost ready....stay tuned for pictures of our melons! (couldn't resist)
This morning was curbside recycling in our neighborhood. Our friend Maggie's dad started the program last fall and it has become quite a success! He and Chris, along with a few other volunteers go around the first Saturday of the month to collect all the recyclables. This morning the kids wanted to help. When done, they will bring the trailer to the county recycling center for sorting. What an awesome gift to our community! (as I type this, I keep waiting for them to bring Tony back home. oy.)
We only have 12 days until school starts! Yesterday we went to Omaha to buy new shoes and school supplies. The kids wear their summer clothes for the first few months here, but we did pick up a few new things for fall. Tony found a Woolly Mammoth shirt so he was PUMPED!
Chris is going to an outdoor concert today (3 Doors Down and 7 other bands I've never heard of) in Iowa with a couple other guys. Tony received some movie passes for his birthday so the 3 of us are going to see a matinee of "Space Chimps." Tony assured me that it is "rated G so that means it's Grownup Friendly."
One last thing before I log off...I need to say a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my sister-in-law Amanda. She is such a blessed addition to our family. I hope she has a very happy day! Another shout out to Jojo's boyfriend NICK. Singlehandedly the best "spooky-story-around-a-campfire-teller" EVER! Happy Birthday Nick!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey....read your blog & I am thinking...boy I would love some of that corn...our garden is finally starting to take off...hope we have a long warm fall...pulled out 2 wheelbarrows of weeds when we got back from camping..Tony I want a pic of that T-shirt..will show Drew the frog pic..he will be soooo pumped..have fun with the rest of your summer...Love, ya...Gma N

Anonymous said...

That corn looks so good. Good ole Nebraska corn!! Tony.....have an extra ear for me. But, I would love some of that cantaloupe too.

Gloria

Vertin-Franklin Family said...

Jo~You are an awesome mom! I would flip if my kids touched any reptile! I hate any slimy thing! I guess you get that w/boys.

Jo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out Jo! I love all the pictures. Good for you setting up a recycle program. Most people would not be so eco savy!
-Amanda

Anonymous said...

So what did you guys do with the frogs once you rescued them?? Gramma Sally

Anonymous said...

the TOADS were released in the weeds along the creek.

-Editor

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you guys rescued those cute (?) toads. Did you kiss any of them?? I betcha you know who would have kissed AND hugged them. Great job on the recycling too!

We miss you!
3Skooges

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are already eating your corn! I wish I could have been there to taste test!

I am so excited for you- NEW SCHOOL SUPPLIES! I love buying new pencils, erasers, folders, notebooks, rulers, markers....
ohh I could go on and on forever! Good thing I still have an excuse to go school supply shopping myself! :)

Drew caught the coolest frog I have ever seen around here. It looked just like a red-eyed tree frog. He had neon green skin!

Enjoy your last days of vacation!

Jojo

P.S. Nick loved the cards your made/sent him! We decided that the guy in the boat looks just like Chris! :)