Sunday, April 18, 2010

Oh, our achin' hinders...

Picture perfect day today...too bad my camera battery was dead on arrival for our fist major bike ride of Spring. We loaded up the bikes and headed to Council Bluffs, IA where they have a wonderful trail system in place. MOST of it is completed some in the works, some for future development. This will be an important part of my story in just a second....as I said, my camera battery was dead, so sorry about the lack of pictures.

So off we go...we weren't kidding when we said we were going to be doing some major "training" for our trip to Yellowstone in June. We hit the trail and went about a 1/2 mile and then hit a deadend of sorts and turned back. We got on another part of the trail and enjoyed riding through cornfields, next to prairies, around a lake....we made a few snack/water stops along the way. We'd covered about 8-9 miles and the kids were getting tired. Chris got out the map and decided how to get us back to the parking lot.

Well, we got back to A parking lot. Just NOT the parking lot WE parked in. As Chris took another look at the map he says "Sorry guys, I was looking at the wrong parking lot." A nice elderly biker-dude stopped to see if he could be some assistance...we must have looked confused. He politely informed us that the only way back to OUR parking lot was the 8.5 miles we had just traversed. That's right...turn around and go back the way we came. The route we thought would take us quickly back is a "future" trail. This brought our 11 yr old to tears, literally. Do the math...we rode over 18 miles today. And the one you should feel sorry for is Tony as he just has a basic, one-speed bike.

We rationed off the last 3 Slim Jims...Chris didn't get any as he was in pretty hot water with the rest of us, and begrudgingly peddled our way back to the truck. What a sight to behold that little blue truck was! We hightailed it to Sonic where burgers and shakes were enjoyed by all!!!

The moral of this story is...Chris no longer is the reader of the map. Never. Again.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just had to comment on this one...no longer the map reader?? I lost that one years ago..remember S.D.?? Livie you can stay with PaPa & me back at the lodge drinking our Cold drinks!! Oh, the torture you poor kids...Gma N

Vertin-Franklin Family said...

LOL!! That is yet another reason why I hate exercise! You need to bring a handheld GPS next time!! Poor kids. A great family memory to tell their kids!!

Jocko Sr. said...

Just be glad Tony and Liv that you did not have to walk an extra 8 miles. Biking 8 miles should not be that bad for two well conditioned young people like you two. I used to walk 8 miles up hill..........to school and back each day! Just ask Gloria. Hang in there Chris. You just made a slight navigation error. They are young and they will get over it. Not sure about Jo.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I wish I could have been there to see all of your faces. I can just picture all of them - especially Chris' "What? I didn't know!" face!!! Um...let's hope Chris is better at reading directions than maps??? Otherwise we're in big trouble next weekend. :)

SEE you soon!!!

Ernie

bat act said...

oh my gosh you had me laughing! poor chris, didn't get a slim jims???
Good training guys!

Sally T said...

What a funny story...sorry Liv, I feel your pain...we need to send Chris to Map School!!! Are you going to let him drive to Yellowstone? After reading your story I didn't feel so bad about having to golf in flimsy sandals yesterday...don't even ask!!! Hope Tony and Liv are recovered enough to make the trip on Friday!!!

bat act said...

toooo funny.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Livie and Tony...grandpa Jackie had to walk 8 miles...uphill both ways and barefoot....NOT!!! I am still laughing, but I am sure you guys weren't! Poor Chris....he will be doing penance for a LONG, LONG time. Come to Ely to bike...Trezona Trail is only 4 miles....both ways...uphill...LOLOLOL.....
Gloria