That's all for now from Camp Maras.....stay tuned!
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Catching Up with Us
Here's a long post to get us all caught up. Fall is here...the garden is done, the apples are perfect, the air is crisp and I'm cold ALL the time. Two Fridays ago we didn't have school so we made a trip to the zoo. We were feeling guilty as we hadn't made it to the zoo all summer.
This little meerkat was a HOOT basking under the heat lamp. I need one of those!
We were all excited to ride the Skyfari, a new attraction that opened this summer. They did a nice job as it looks as if it's always been there.
The new baby sea lion was adorable and captured our attention for quite a while.
I babysit for my neighbor on most of my days off from working at Tony's school. On this warm day a couple weeks ago we had fun making ourselves willow branch crowns. We all have giant willows in our backyards and they are a FAVORITE place to play for the neighborhood kids. Pictured are the two little ones I sit for, as well as Tony's other BFF and neighbor, Hanna.
This past weekend we "camped" with our friends the Larsen's (Tony's BFF Sam). I use quotation marks because we rented a "camper cabin" at Platte River State Park - about 45 min. south of here along the Platte River (duh). The cabin had three bedrooms and a common area with table, chairs and a fridge. Outside was a fire pit, grill and picnic table. We shared a common bathroom/shower facility just like regular campgrounds. It was affordable, clean and had HEAT!!!! We all had a really great time. Liv brought her BFF Maggie as the Larsen's have 2 boys. We needed to even the playing field.
Maggie is an early riser, unlike her friend Olivia. When I woke up Saturday to hike to the bathroom, she was already reading with her headlamp in the dark.
We basically just ate and hiked all weekend. The weather was cloudy, but pleasant. We discovered all sorts of surprises, like this fake buffalo.
The kids ran around like a pack of wild animals all day. They were wet, filthy and tired by nightfall. Olivia, ever the level-headed one, is the only kid who made it back to the cabin with dry feet.
We stumbled upon a KID WONDERLAND on our hike. This was an absolute perfect place to play and explore. I want to build a house RIGHT HERE.
There were ledges, crevices, logs and water everywhere. We played all morning, headed back for lunch then came back in the afternoon.
Mmmmm....a nice, refreshing parasitic drink. Chris hollered at Tony right after I snapped this.
Perfect place for a traditional family shot. Too bad most of these are when we're in our camping clothes, wearing camping shoes, with camping hair, etc.....
We don't get a lot of fall color other than brown and yellow so we all enjoyed this lovely spot of red on an oak tree.
The dads had fun challenging the kids to cross fallen logs along the way. Thank goodness no one fell off and the moms stuck to the trail. I'm not sure where Maggie is...she was always a hundred yards in front of us. Let's just say, she needs a new pair of tennis shoes after this weekend.
On our way back to the cabin we climbed the "Lincoln Journal Tower".
Of course, Maggie made it to the top first. She was up there before I hit the first step. I asked her to climb on top of the railing so I could see her.... ha ha. Olivia, not a fan of heights, stayed in the truck. She made it to the top of the Empire State Building just fine...but that had an elevator. ;)
Here we are at the top. It was gorgeous panoramic view from up there....and WINDY!
We will have lived in Nebraska for 5 years (!) this Halloween. I have to say this state is growing on me. When we were out East this summer, Chris and I were a little claustrophobic and felt relief when we got back and could again "see forever."

After steaks on the grill, we grabbed our flashlights and headed out for a night hike. We heard owls galore, and the dad's claim they heard Coyotes. The kids stumbled upon a pile of old railroad spikes and went home with cool souvenirs. Tony added his to our rock-shell-driftwood-seaglass-animal skull, and now railroad spike, garden in the front yard.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Looks like a fun trip...just think of all the wonderful memories you are creating in your kid's minds!! They will look back on these trips as the best time of their lives!! Can hardly wait to see you guys on Friday...drive safely!!!
Oh how fun...you guys do so many fun things! You are so lucky mom plans these fun trips
What a beautiful area! Your wonderful experiences are so much more important than "dressed to the nines" pictures! These are priceless! Auntie B
great post, thanks for filling us in. i alway enjoy reading about all the things camp maras is doing. thanks.
I love the water fall family picture. So pretty!
Post a Comment