Ok, so while the kids were camping with Joanna I headed up north to see my dad in the hospital. Along the way, I stopped at Erin and Jeff's. I was lucky enough to spend an entire day with Celia by myself....you can see from the picture above what happens when you hang out with a 2-1/2 yr. old!!!! We had a great day and I really enjoyed the special time with her.
Wednesday, we loaded and I mean LOADED up my car and headed for home. Chris hadn't seen the kids in almost three weeks and they were excited to see him and Nelson of course. We arrived home around 4:30 and exactly 24 hours later we headed to Indian Cave State Park in Southeast NE for a long weekend of camping. Seriously...WHAT was I thinking?????
It rained and rained and rained all day Friday. We managed to jump in the truck and take in the sights of the park in between showers.I didn't grab my camera so I have no pictures of the caves...hence the name, Indian Cave State Park. They were cool though, complete with petroglyphs carved in the rock that are thousands of years old. Saturday was gray and drizzly, but the kids still put on their game faces and decorated the camper for the 4th of July!!!
The rain held off enough for us to check out all the living history programs at the park. Chris and the kids are checking out a trapper's cabin above. They also got to watch soap making, candle dipping, and a working blacksmith shop was on the property as well. Up the road was the old town of St. Deroin....the original school house is still there as well as a general store where we got to watch a gentleman making brooms. I purchased a nice camper broom from him because I am happiest when my camper is clean. Anyways, the history of the town is interesting as the Missouri river changed course and pretty much wiped it out overnight.

A shot of the might Missouri from a scenic overlook. Everything was so LUSH and GREEN!!! The state of Missouri is just on the other side of the river.
I just loved this split rail fence against the field. So wild and natural and GREEN. All that rain really made things lush, not to mention making our camper damp and stinky. I am not ashamed to admit that I am a FAIRWEATHER camper for sure. Behind me was the St. Deroin Cemetery. We enjoy taking the kids through old cemeteries....odd I know. But there is so much history to be had if you read the grave stones. They are so old and beautiful. Plus, if you are ever looking for unique, old-fashioned baby names that's the place to go.
The kids took delight in finding these odd caterpillars all over our campsite. I promised I'd post a picture for them. They did a craft at the park museum, hence the purple paint all over Liv's hand.
Another unique stop was the Longrifle Muzzleloading club. They set up on weekends and will let visitors try shooting. Chris was thrilled with the opportunity...I passed. It was so LOUD!!!! I suggested he take up the hobby...wouldn't he look good in one of those period costumes????
We took a ride Saturday to a nearby town of Brownville. Population is only a little over a hundred, but the town is full of museums, shops, bookstores, etc.... Too bad everything was closed by the time we got there. I just loved this little cottage....
..and this sweet little house....I have more, but I won't bore you with them. I am just meant to live in a place like this. :)
Beautiful, old oak trees are everywhere when you are along the Missouri River. This one was especially impressive.
We wandered down to the river and found this old steam boat in dry dock. It is a museum, but of course was also closed. We are anxious to take a day trip back to Brownville perhaps the next time we have company.
So what DO we do in the evenings when it's raining??? Why, we play Yahtzee and eat squeeze cheese of course!!!! Camping is the only time of year the kids get to have squeeze cheese. They look forward to it almost as much as Christmas (ha ha). Here is Livie celebrating her very first YAHTZEE EVER!!!! Yay Livie!!!! After it got dark we headed back to Brownville to watch the fireworks along the river. Unfortunately they started much earlier than we thought they would and we only caught the last five minutes. How disappointing. I happened to overhear (ok, I was eavesdropping) someone say they were heading to Auburn to watch their fireworks. We needed gas anyways, so we jumped in the truck and followed the crowd to Auburn, about 15 miles away. Another small town where we figured any cars on the road at nearly 10 p.m. HAD to be heading to fireworks. We were right and got to see an AMAZING show. The kids declared it the best they'd ever seen.
Finally, on Sunday the sun decided to shine. We all enjoyed our morning coffee/hot chocolate outside. Look! There's Nelson! We promised the kids another horse back riding adventure this trip so we headed to the stables while things dried out in the sun.
Checking out the horses and wondering which one they'll get.
This sweet little fella came right up to us for a pat. Tony was a bit apprehensive, but soon enjoyed the chance to pet him.
Livie got to ride one of the pretty little ones she was hoping for.
Tony was surprised when they brought him this GIANT. Turned out to be the perfect fit, as he was obviously very slow and mellow.
I did the best I could turning around and snapping a picture of Liv. Probably not a good idea to take pictures while riding a horse...kinda like talking on a cell phone and driving???
You can see Tony in the brown shirt behind Chris in the blue shirt. We all really enjoyed the trail ride again. It was a beautiful day and a great family weekend, despite the rain.
A shot of the might Missouri from a scenic overlook. Everything was so LUSH and GREEN!!! The state of Missouri is just on the other side of the river.
So now we are home. We baked the camper, rugs and sleeping bags all day in the hot Nebraska sun. The kids and I all enjoyed our time in MN but it feels good to be home and back into some sort of "normal summer routine." We've got a couple weeks before we head back up the end of this month for our annual MN camping trip....
This last picture is for Ernie. When I was planning our meals for the week I had each kid pick a recipe from their cookbooks. They made their own shopping lists and got the ingredients when we went to the store. Monday night Liv made a Chicken Noodle Omelet that was quite good. We enjoyed it along with some corn from the farm stand, red potatoes from the garden, and Nada Coladas for our beverage. If you look closely you can see on the counter the bounty from our garden....onions, red potatoes, and cukes. Also you'll see jars of blackberry jam that Mr. Martha Maras made while we were gone from berries he picked along the trail near our house.
I hope you enjoyed this VERY LONG catch-up post. We are all having a fabulous summer and hope you are as well! Tony cooks tonight....stay tuned!
8 comments:
I totally enjoyed it. I have been wonering what you were up to. Isn't it amazing how many cool places there are with in driving distance of your home. I am always surprised at the fun thing there are to do.
-Amanda
Wow, loved your trip! I'll go back and review pictures, couple of things stand out: nice cake, Ernie! Reservations for Brownville, please! Love the Ace of Cakes aprons as well as the kids cooking! Keep practicing! The horses were great, Livie's was so beautiful and Tony's so big....the scenery is lovely and your Camp Maras sign just great!!! Anyone paint a picture yet???
Whoa. So did that blog take you all day then? Great posting! Glad camping was fun despite the icky weather. After you left, Celia and I wandered around the house wondering what to do next. She keeps finding brown fuzzies all over the house and picks them up and says, "Oh....This is from Tony's moose! I miss Tony and Livie and Auntie Jo." We had such a great time!
Thanks again Jo for all of your help with Celia!! And for sewing all of her holey animals. I'm sure she'll have another load for your next visit.
Your camping sign looks great! I'm so glad that you are using it. And your meal sounds AWESOME Livie!! I can't wait to see what Tony cooks up. When we visit this fall maybe you guys can make dinner one night?!? Liv, are your toes still doing okay??
Miss you,
Auntie Ernie
Taking a picture from horseback? We do it all the time. Looks like you had a awesome place to ride. Maybe I should drive my horse down there! Looks like you are enjoying the summer. Good for you!
Anne Portinen
my toes are doing great ernie!
miss you!
livie
WHOA! You certainly covered a lot of ground!!!
The kids stay in MN was a blast! Thanks for coming! I can hardly wait until you return! MORE CAMPING! YEAH! I am very proud of Ton and Liv too! Their behavior was AWESOME! They were easy as pie!
Liv- the blue scarf looks fab on you!
Ton- your "scary face" scares me too! It looks a little bit like Michael Jackson's face :)
But not THAT creepy!
See you soon!
Miss you!
Jojo
So were the kids awake by the time you finished the blog??? :)
Thanks for the update! Sounds like you have all been on some very fun adventures lately. Miss you guys and hope all is well. Liv and Tony, your aprons are so cool (I love that show too!). Liv, your meal sounds delish. Can't wait for an update on Tony's meal.
-The Padgetts
Great more talented cake bakers and cooks. Hey, how come I didn't get any of that talent? It must come from Sally's side. Dang.
Jo- you are a great blogger. It's ok not post something every week. I never do, but of course I get teased for it too.
Hope to see you guys the next time you make it to town! Stop by the Laurienzo's we are on the south side of town!
Carolyn
Post a Comment