As you have all heard me lament, we started school Aug. 13th. That means, homecoming is over, Livie has already gotten her school pictures back and this week we had conferences! Blair does mid-term conferences so you can see where your kids are grade-wise and then they have the rest of the term to bring their grades up if need be. I wasn't so sure about it, but it seems to be working! If you don't want to hear me brag about my kids you may stop reading here.
Tony had a great conference. He is at a new school this year that houses just 4th & 5th grade. His teacher/student teacher really enjoy having him in class. He's doing great academically, but more importantly he's a good kid. His teacher said he is their "shiny, gold star." No behavior issues whatsoever. There are always areas that could use improvement...neatness, slowing down, not talking so much (!)...but we are very proud of him and the fine young man he is becoming.
Olivia's conferences are student led. She prepared a portfolio of her work for us to look through. Each teacher comes to us and we get to chat about her progress. She is in 7th grade this year and they really treat them like "big kids". Lots of responsibility and lots of homework. Every teacher that came to sit with us just looked and her and smiled. "Isn't she a sweetheart?" is what we heard over and over. Yes, she is. Her grades are excellent...she works hard and it shows. Again, she is a good kid and well-liked by her teachers.
I guess why I am sharing this is that even though they both get good grades, what is most important to Chris and I is that we are raising GOOD PEOPLE. We are both working hard to raise two kids that will eventually leave home and become responsible, productive adults. Are they perfect? Nope. But they are kind, respectful and two unique (our salt & pepper) individuals that we really are having a blast (most of the time) raising. We strive to give them varied experiences and life skills that will be with them always.
So, that being said I will step off my soapbox. The kids are off today because of conferences so I would stand to bet that by this afternoon I will be wanting to erase everything I just typed because they'll be driving me nuts. HAHA! HAPPY FALL!
6 comments:
Apples don't fall far from their trees...you guys have set good examples for your kids, put them first and made an investment of your time in their lives. It is beginning to pay off and will only make you richer by leaps and bounds. THey are your biggest and best assets and mean the world to us. No surprise here at their great conferences...you are welcome, Nebraska, for giving you our oldest grandchildren (come back!).
Well said Sally! I second EVERYTHING!
As a teacher, I would give my left arm to have a classroom full of each... well half of Livie (for my SOME quiet times) and the other half Tony (for geography help and laughs).
Reading that makes me miss "The Maras NEs" even more!
Congrats is in order for ALL of you!
Love,
Jojo
We agree with Sally T....they make us proud!!! Gma & PaPa Maras
So proud of you guys! Keep up all the hard work. Liv and Tony, you are both wonderful kids. Bravo to Jo and Chris for your hard work too. Raising kids is far from easy, but you have proven what a great job you have done - just look at your outcome!!! Miss you guys.
The Padgett's
agreed. i steal parenting tips all the time without you even knowing it. good job tony and good job livie!
uncle brian
You should be proud! You are raising some great kids!
The Laurienzo's
Post a Comment