Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Another MN Whirlwind!

This past weekend the kids and I headed up to Elk River after school. Earlier this summer, Erin saw an article in the paper about "Little House on the Prairie the Musical" that was having a run at the Guthrie Theater downtown Minneapolis. After checking our school schedule, we realized we had a long weekend while it was in town. My mom, Erin, myself, Livie and Tony got tickets and boy are we glad! It was a bit of a splurge, but worth every penny.

Before you get too impressed, I cannot take credit for the above photo. This one I "borrowed" off the internet. I am not typically a fan of "modern architecture" but the Guthrie will blow your socks off. It is in the heart of the old mill district and a striking contrast to it's surroundings. The highlight was definately the "Bridge to Nowhere" you see jutting out on the left.


Gramma poses with Livie and Tony in front of the giant sign. Everything was done in such a GRAND scale.

Here they are in front of Tennessee Williams...both kids were appalled that he had a cigarette in his hand! :)

I'm pretty sure the grown-ups were more excited than the kids to see this musical. Melissa Gilbert played "Ma Ingalls" and a certain someone about pooped her pants when she spotted her off the lobby. I have so many wonderful memories of reading the Little House books and watching the TV show....over and over and over....Chris and I have read the books outloud to Livie and now I have a feeling we will do the same with Tony. Both of them really enjoyed the show and it was such a fun experience to share with them!

Here is a stunning view from the "Bridge to Nowhere" looking at the Mississippi River.

Looking out a window on the bridge. My camera didn't do it justice...I have a feeling Erin will have a better shot of it. These small cut-out windows were placed strategically so the view looked like art. Genius.

Sunday morning the kids enjoyed a round of dress-up with Celia. We were so lucky that our long weekend and tickets to the show coincided with Celia's 2nd birthday party! We sure know how to pack it in!

Another stellar creation by our own "Ace of Cakes", Gramma Sally! Celia had a "Queen of the Jungle" party this year. She is all about Lion's right now. I don't want to give away secrets, but wait til you see Erin's post from Halloween!

Celia's sweet little friend Dane was at the party. He was NOT going to let go of his balloons. Livie and Tony both fell in love with him and keep talking about how cute he was. He has the sweetest voice to match that face.

Finally after a long day Celia got to enjoy her cake. Thank you for sharing your special day with us CC!!!!

After the party wound down we headed outside to enjoy a beautiful Fall evening. Leaves were about at their peak in the Mpls. area. What a treat for us! The kids were anxious to get out Uncle Jeff's rakes and make a pile.

It was a lot of work, but worth it.....

...to experience one of life's greatest joys! I love this picture.

We were SO HAPPY that our sweet little Baby Cal was able to come to the party too. We hadn't seen him since this summer. Boy has he grown! He had a bit of trouble with all the commotion, but once we got him outside we all got to enjoy his easy disposition. He just loved the grass and leaves.

I'll wrap it up with a shot of the 4 Amigos. They are all sitting and all looking in generally the same direction...I call that a success. We had a fun weekend and treasure these time with our family. No rest for us, as Gramma and Papa Maras will be here Friday! Yippy! Hopefully THEY have rested up because Tony already has a plan for when they are here. Stay tuned....
p.s.
Only 71 shopping days until Christmas!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh..can you come back? Every morning I ask, "Where Wivvy go? Where Tony go? Where Auntie Jo go?" Thank you for spending my birthday with me. I had soooo much fun. Thank you for always playing with me and taking such good care of me when you are here.

Love, Celia

Anonymous said...

Tony and Livie....ask for a Magic Carpet for Christmas...you could be here in no time, whenever you want!!! Miss you guys already...but we'll see you soon! Love, Gramma Sally

Jessie said...

so great to see you again. dane had a great time playing with your wonderful tony and livie-thanks you two!! looking forward to another visit and more chatting. the 71 days to christmas comment is scary...

Anonymous said...

PS
The beginning of this song gives me the goosebumps. Great find!

PPS
I wish I could eat salami with Liv and Tony every night at 10pm and watch wedding cake shows. Miss you.

Auntie Ernie

Bombshell said...

We're already counting days 'til Christmas?? I have to get through all the Halloween festivities, a 3rd birthday party, a Navy dinner/dance in Las Vegas, and Thanksgiving first. Whew! There's a lot to do in the next couple of months!! I guess we better start determining who's been naughty or nice... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming to visit us, we're so glad you could be here for Celia's birthday party. See you at Christmas!

-Uncle Jeff