Chris ended up having to go to Florida the week of Olivia's birthday. Since both kids were celebrating milestone birthdays in June - Tony (13) and Olivia (16) I thought it would be fun to surprise them with a trip to Chicago. We took them there a couple years ago and they loved it so much they've been asking to go back. The night before I told both kids to pack a bag and we'd be leaving the next morning. Tony had it narrowed down to Denver or Chicago right away and figured out our destination when we hung a right on I-29. What they DIDN'T know was that Auntie Jojo drove Gramma Nancy and Gramma Sally to our hotel and we surprised the kids. Wish I had a picture of their faces when they showed up...priceless.
Our hotel was in Naperville, Illinois and the next morning we boarded a train into the city. It was a nice relaxing way to get to downtown Chicago.
First stop was the top of the Willis Tower (formerly known as the Sears Tower). Tony was beside himself to be up at the top. He LOVES skyscrapers.
We were brave and ventured out onto the SkyDeck and yes....this is the one that CRACKED last week. Ugh.
Olivia is not a fan of heights, so I'm proud of her for stepping out of her comfort zone for this experience.
Tony was SO happy...I think he could have ended the trip right here. Man, if that doesn't still freak me out.
Look WAAAYYY up at the top and see those little decks sticking out? That's where we were standing.
Happy Boy. Happy Boy.
At Milenium Park we were thrilled to see the Cloud Gate sculpture (aka "The Bean"). Somehow we missed this on our last trip!
View from inside...
Here we all are. I think this is the only group picture we got!
My favorite thing about Chicago is the juxtaposition of old and new everywhere. It just works.
Enjoying a sunny day on the double decker bus. These two were seat mates the entire trip.
One of our favorite buildings. As you drive by its appearance changes and looks like rippling water.
One of the only skyscrapers in Chicago designed by a woman.
The over-the-top Trump Tower. The 4-story penthouse at the top is for sale...just a mere $32 million. Can't imagine why its still vacant!?
Fanciest Target we've ever seen. Wish we had time to go inside!
Ugliest football stadium I've ever seen.
Look at Soldier Field's old facade and try not to notice the flying saucer on top.
Beautiful Presbyterian Church near the Magnificent Mile.
Union Station where we caught the train.
Taking a break for another Chicago hot dog before hitting the Field Museum.
Again, old and new. The Field Museum (named for Marshall Field) was part of the 1893 Worlds Fair and was moved to this location. We took in a special exhibit while there about the 1893 Worlds Fair. Another one of Tony's random interests that got us all intrigued...
Next trip to Chicago we must go inside the GINORMOUS Merchandise Mart. 3 million square feet. Did you know its owned by the Kennedy's???
Last stop for true Chicago-style pizza after a long day of touring the city.
I had arranged for a bakery to deliver a birthday cake for our special 16 yr old. She was very surprised when we arrived back to our room quite late. We were also very surprised when the front desk knocked on our door because they had a received a NOISE COMPLAINT!!! YIKES! Good memories.
The kids were absolutely thrilled with their surprise birthday trip and had a great, great time. I have a feeling they were very excited amd relieved to have Gramma's and Jojo join us, instead of being stuck with just their mom for 3 days!
We just saw them pick this item in Alabama the week before our trip!!! How cool is that?
Those shelves look just like the ones in Tony's room....
Chris was a bit jealous he wasn't along for the trip, but we did bring him back a t-shirt.
After a fun and tiring trip, the leftover birthday cake looked about the same way we felt. Another great adventure for the books. Rumor has it Tony and Olivia want to make this an annual birthday event....







































3 comments:
Poor cake! It didn't journey well.
Oh! memories of a lifetime! I just listened to a program about experiences vs. stuff make you happier.
Glad to have shared this experience with everyone!
Love,
Jojo
P.S. I second the statement about making this an annual thing-- maybe Denver next time? :)
thanks to the memories....good job everyone...gma N
Fun!!! Jojo we just bought a print that basically says that same thing - seeing the world and experiencing things is way better than any "stuff." What a cool surprise trip. Next year I want in!! And that cake? Omgosh, I can't believe I didn't get to try that cake. Here's to many more adventures equally as fun!
ernie xo
Post a Comment