Sunday, April 27, 2014

Spring Break 2014

 For spring break this year, we decided to spend a week in St. Augustine, Florida. My parents spent the winter down there and although this was our 3rd trip to Florida, its a part of the state we had never visited. Here is the view from their beautiful condo. Not a bad way to start the day!
 Our first morning it was CHILLY, but we couldn't wait to hit the beach.
 At least MOST of us couldn't wait to hit the beach. We arrived late the night before and let Olivia sleep in. Jocko is out for his daily 4-mile walk somewhere....
 Tony instantly hit the water and we all picked up as many shells as we could fit in our pockets.


There were Jelly Fish all over the shore. They actually do not feel at all "slimy" like I thought they would. We all touched one, just to say we did, and a certain couple of males thought it funny to throw them at each other. Tony learned quick not to start something he can't finish and ended up with slimy seaweed down his back. 

 Ahhh, there is our bathing beauty. All rested and enjoying the sun by the pool!


We usually walked the beach at least 2 or 3 times a day. The tide change was drastic so it was always fun to beach comb.

 Gramma Sally was happy to have her (very pale) shell searchers arrive!


 Tony was always my "morning buddy" and we'd hit the beach before the rest of the world was up.


This day there was lots of treasure to find!!!

 We spent one beautiful day in the oldest city - St. Augustine.

 It was a quaint, tourist destination full of great shops, food and history.


Tony gets photo bombed while he enjoys chocolate covered marshmallows on a stick!



 I think this has the distinction of the oldest street?
 Such a cosmopolitan gal isn't she???

 We enjoyed just meandering around town and seeing all the old homes and buildings.

 I am a real sucker for the charm of the south. I swear this is where I am supposed to live. NOT surrounded by cornfields. Someday. Someday.

 Tony and Chris were excited to check out the fort located in St. Augustine.

 We got there just in time to see the cannons blow!


 Very picturesque this fortress by the sea.


 On this morning, Tony and I made a point to get to the beach BEFORE sunrise. We are so glad we did as we caught this breathtaking beauty.

 In 2007 we took the kids to Cape San Blas in the panhandle of Florida. Gramma Sally surprised them and joined us on the trip!

I included this "throw back" picture from that trip just for fun!

While on that trip, we stopped at "Tony's Tiki Hut" for ice cream on several occasions. I distinctly remember having a Chocolate Covered Cherry ice cream cone on one visit. Because the brand, Blue Bell,  is only sold in the south, we haven't had it since.

 But I NEVER forget a good ice cream cone and was totally PUMPED to find this at the grocery store in St. Augustine. We downed 2 of these half-gallons while there and it was even BETTER than I remembered.

 Gramma and Papa introduced us to their favorite BBQ joint and we all enjoyed a good meal.

 Afterwards we wandered the lovely grounds.


 Florida sunsets are as beautiful as the sunrise. Just on the other side of the street!

 Tony loved these little guys so I had to be sure to get a shot of one for him.

The pool at Gramma and Papa's condo was heated and Tony spent as much time in there as he could. The "snowbirds" in this complex were probably glad to have us leave!!!

We enjoyed another good meal at Paula's Fish Shack. Unfortunately, they were out of Wild Boar so Tony had to settle for fried Alligator. (true story)
 Livie stuck to a big 'ol pile of nachos.

 The condo my parents rented was fully equipped with everything we needed for the beach - including boogie boards. Chris and the kids had a blast in the surf.


 Tony and Chris thought it would be fun to see how deep they'd have to dig to hit the water table.

You can't tell from the picture - but they did it!


And then Chris promptly went to work burying Tony in the hole. By the way, he is standing up in this picture!

 Liv brought her racquet's along and even got in a few rounds of tennis with Chris.

 This cracks me up....how many pairs of shoes do 6 people need? And I'm embarrassed to say, Olivia and I probably had 4 or 5 more pair upstairs in our bedroom. Jeesh.

 Our last day was warm, but rainy. Perfect day to take a drive to Blue Spring State Park. This a natural spring that stays a constant 70 degrees (or something to that effect - I'm too lazy to Google) and is a refuge for manatees in the winter months.
 Even in the rain the park was quite magical and lush.


The park was nearly deserted and while we didn't have to fight crowds to see hundreds of manatees, we were thrilled to see this one up close.  What a neat experience!!



 Like I stated earlier, I am a sucker for the south and just loved this old plantation home.
We got to wander inside and enjoy the front porch.



If these old floorboards could talk....
 I could easily spend my time doing this EVERY day. Love it.
Yes Chris, I will take a picture of you next to the outhouse......?

After a great week in St. Augustine, we loaded up the rental car and headed north to Savannah, Georgia. Ever since I read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" in 2001 to be exact, visiting Savannah has been on my bucket list. Although the day was chilly, the city did not disappoint. 





 A stroll through Forsythe Park. We all said it reminded us of walking through Central Park in NYC.


 The Spanish moss is EVERYWHERE and adds so much beauty and mystery to everything.

History was around every corner. 



 Who doesn't love the south? Who? Tell me WHO!?!?!?!?
Magical.

 Ah, the Mercer-Williams house. Those who read the aforementioned book will relate.
 Cool old architecture.


Cool old cemeteries.

Cool old cobblestone streets.


 The kids and I hit the holy grail of souvenir shops when we stumbled upon the "Savannah History Shoppe." All sorts of old things dug up while excavating old plantations and homes in Savannah. Stuff found in ship wrecks, sea glass...the perfect place for a bunch of pickers like us!!!

 Chris got a hold of my camera and thought this tug boat and container ship were pretty cool too.


All in all, we enjoyed our day in Savannah - we walked over 6 miles and saw as much as we could in a day. I truly hope to go back someday when the city is in bloom and I have a little more time - however, I'm afraid I may never leave. 

Goodbye Florida, we hope to see you again someday!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, Jo...you absolutely captured it. Wish you could see Savannah over several warm, sunny days. Love the throwback pics to 2007...the kids were so little! Your sunrise was perfect, glad you got that one and love the manatee snout as he was getting some air. You always see things that we don't even know are there....

Grandma Sally